A stunning mill set in 32 acres of private paradise
Le Grand Moulin is ideally situated close to the village of Cuneges, between the towns of Pomport and Sigoules.
...the best of all worlds - complete privacy but fresh croissant only a short walk away!
A 15 minute walk takes you up into Cuneges where the village shop is found. There are some beautiful walking and cycling routes in and around the village. Deer and wild boar inhabit the woods around - an exciting sight for those with a keen eye.
The canton of Sigoulès covers 18801 hectares and has a population of some nine thousand, of which Sigoulès has been its chief town since 1825. Within this small town there are all the facilities you could require such as grocery store, butchers, bakery, garage, florist, newsagents, bank, post office, pizzeria and Café restaurant “Chez Max”
The town also holds many social events. Each Friday morning there is a local market selling fresh vegetables, cheese, wine and foie gras. Throughout the summer there are regular classical music events held on Sunday evenings at the local churches of Cuneges, Pomport and Monbos. The annual “Festival of Wine” takes place in the second fortnight of July where the town is taken over by all the wine producers in the region who display and sell their wine. As well as winetasting taking place throughout the day, there is music, events and local entertainment which makes for a fantastic atmosphere.
The name ‘Pomport’ - a name which no other village in France has - could have two original meanings, either ‘Pom portens’ meaning ‘that which bears fruit’, or ‘Le Bon Port’ or ‘Bon Passage (the good port or thoroughfare). A smaller town than Sigoules it has much more of a village feel.
The commune of Pomport is pleasantly situated on the hillsides of southern Bergerac (at an altitude of 155m).The commune has a surface area of 1954 hectares and counts a population of 721. Out of a surface area of 1954 ha, 1200 ha are currently planted with vines which produce white Monbazillac wine and red Bergerac wine. This perhaps supports the ‘Pom portens’, bearer of fruit, theory of the village name. The vineyards of Pomport were first planted by the monks of St Martin of Bergerac and the monks of Labadie, Colombier as early as 1100. The local bourgeoisie later increased the size of the plantations and the wine trade was able to develop thanks to the river.
There are fewer facilities in Pomport but importantly there is the recreational lake that provides a man-made beach, watersports, café and childrens play area. In the village itself as well as the Bar “Le Bon Port” there are many places of historic interest to visit such as the parish, (Sanctus Petrus de Pomport) dedicated to St Pierre-ès-liens which is extremely old and mentioned in St Cybard Abbey’s chartulary in 1142.